Jan 22, 2018 There are a few ways to determine what version of OSX you are on. In the GUI, you can easily click the Apple menu ( ) at the top left of your screen, and choose About This Mac. The version of OS X will be printed underneath the large bold Mac OS X title. Clicking on the Version XYZ text will reveal the Build number. Feb 06, 2017 This trick will reveal every single possible terminal command available to Mac OS and Mac OS X. It works in all versions of Mac OS X system software as long as you are using the bash shell, which is the default in all modern releases. Open the Terminal app found in /Applications/Utilities/ At a fresh bash prompt, hit the Escape key twice.
These advanced steps are primarily for system administrators and others who are familiar with the command line. You don't need a bootable installer to upgrade macOS or reinstall macOS, but it can be useful when you want to install on multiple computers without downloading the installer each time.
Find the appropriate download link in the upgrade instructions for each macOS version:
Nice article. I just pulled my old macbook out of storage and am refurbishing it to use as a music interface. Thank you again! Hope I”m making sense. I had all this set up already and am running 8GB RAM, but I stayed on 10.6.6 because at the time when I was doing this upgrade I was told that if I go PAST this that the upgrade would cease to function properly and I would go back down to 4-6GB.
macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, ormacOS High Sierra
Installers for each of these macOS versions download directly to your Applications folder as an app named Install macOS Catalina, Install macOS Mojave, or Install macOS High Sierra. If the installer opens after downloading, quit it without continuing installation. Important: To get the correct installer, download from a Mac that is using macOS Sierra 10.12.5 or later, or El Capitan 10.11.6. Enterprise administrators, please download from Apple, not a locally hosted software-update server.
OS X El Capitan
El Capitan downloads as a disk image. On a Mac that is compatible with El Capitan, open the disk image and run the installer within, named InstallMacOSX.pkg. It installs an app named Install OS X El Capitan into your Applications folder. You will create the bootable installer from this app, not from the disk image or .pkg installer.
Use the 'createinstallmedia' command in Terminal
- Connect the USB flash drive or other volume that you're using for the bootable installer. Make sure that it has at least 12GB of available storage and is formatted as Mac OS Extended.
- Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
- Type or paste one of the following commands in Terminal. These assume that the installer is still in your Applications folder, and MyVolume is the name of the USB flash drive or other volume you're using. If it has a different name, replace
MyVolumein these commands with the name of your volume.
- Press Return after typing the command.
- When prompted, type your administrator password and press Return again. Terminal doesn't show any characters as you type your password.
- When prompted, type
Yto confirm that you want to erase the volume, then press Return. Terminal shows the progress as the bootable installer is created.
- When Terminal says that it's done, the volume will have the same name as the installer you downloaded, such as Install macOS Catalina. You can now quit Terminal and eject the volume.
* If your Mac is using macOS Sierra or earlier, include the
--applicationpath argument, similar to the way this argument is used in the command for El Capitan.
Use the bootable installer
After creating the bootable installer, follow these steps to use it:
The actual developer of this Mac application is Michael Dearworth. The program is included in Audio & Video Tools. Virtual Piano was developed to work on Mac OS X 10.7 or later. The unique identifier for this program's bundle is com.md.VirtualPianoMac. The most popular versions of Virtual Piano for Mac. The #1 best piano learning software for Mac, PC, and best piano learning app for iPad is now available at Playground Sessions. Download on your device now! Free piano free download - Piano Tuner, Piano Marvel, Purely Piano, and many more programs. Interactive piano software for all levels. Free to try User rating. Piano One for Mac. Mac os piano tutorial software free. The Sound of Piano One comes from the Yamaha C7 concert grand, a true workhorse in the professional piano world, appearing on famous concert stages, in. Free Sound Magic Co. Mac OS X 10.5 Intel.
- Plug the bootable installer into a compatible Mac.
- Use Startup Manager or Startup Disk preferences to select the bootable installer as the startup disk, then start up from it. Your Mac will start up to macOS Recovery.
Learn about selecting a startup disk, including what to do if your Mac doesn't start up from it.
- Choose your language, if prompted.
- A bootable installer doesn't download macOS from the Internet, but it does require the Internet to get information specific to your Mac model, such as firmware updates. If you need to connect to a Wi-Fi network, use the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar.
- Select Install macOS (or Install OS X) from the Utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.
For more information about the
createinstallmedia command and the arguments that you can use with it, make sure that the macOS installer is in your Applications folder, then enter this path in Terminal:
El Capitan:I use ssh client to login into my Mac Min server without GUI. How can I tell what version of Mac OS X operating system am I using command prompt? How do I find out Mac OS X version from Terminal app bash shell?
On Apple Mac OS X you need to use the following command to find out operating system version:
- system_profiler command – Show Apple hardware and software configuration.
- sw_vers command – Show Mac OS X operating system version.
- uname command – Show operating system name and more.
Determine OS X version from the command line
Open the terminal app and type the following command:
Where, you can pass the following options:
- -productName – Print just the value of the ProductName property.
- -productVersion – Print just the value of the ProductVersion property.
- -buildVersion – Print just the value of the BuildVersion property.
Say hello to system_profiler
You can use the system_profiler command as follows to get the same information:
$ system_profiler less
$ system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType
Using SystemVersion.plist file
Macos Terminal Show Version Of Apps
The above commands use /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist file. One can print the version info as follows:
$ cat /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
On Mac OS X server, try:
$ cat /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist
How do I find out OS X Darwin kernel version?
Simply type the following uname command to see operating system name including the machine hardware name, the nodename, the machine processor architecture name, the operating system release, the operating system name, and the operating system version:
$ uname -av
Tip: Read OS X version in audio format
Latest Version Of Macos
Type the following bash command to hear OS X version using the say command on OS X: